Questions from Leah for Blogger Insider…
1. This is an overused question, but how long have you been blogging, why did you start, and why do you keep at it?
1 1/3 years.
I ain’t finished writing the world yet.
2. When I was little I was obsessed with the very idea of Australia. What’s something interesting about it that I wouldn’t have known when I was eight?
Our streets are lush with trees. We do terrible damage to our countryside, but we love the green in our cities. Plenty of native trees, like the sturdy Aussie eucalypt, but also many European varieties. Melbourne is the city of the elm.
3. Do you like what you do in the computer field? Is it stressful?
I get considerable enjoyment from my job. My career, in fact. My company has commitments to their employees and quality. I work with pleasant, professional people. I have many opportunities. That also means lots of responsibility. Working on big, difficult things can generate a lot of stress, but the pluses mitigate against that — by design.
4. If you could spend the rest of your life doing anything you wanted and get paid for it, what would you do?
I don’t think it’s got a name yet. I’m sure it involves international travel, thinking/walking in the sun, talking/drinking by the fire, writing on the internet…
5. Since you’ve made it through a slightly larger number of years than I have, what’s something you’ve learned about life in the past six years that has helped you greatly?
Reality doesn’t matter. You have a model of it in your head. No one else has that model. I try and always take those other models into account. Being a happy and good person is vital to this. For me, habitually trying to flip my thinking around helps. Trying opposite responses to my first. (I’m probably a bit empathy deficient, though.)
6. Do you have siblings? Pets? Significant other(s)? Who are your greatest companions?
Three younger sisters. Melody, who is married and scatter-brained. Katie (going out with my friend Bowie) who likes cool music and kid’s cartoons. Hayley who is a blossoming artist.
I have too many great companions I neglect. Bowie and Ains, who I dragged in to my work with me. Rich over the internet. Harris through the years. Rob. Andrew Lee. Lukas…
7. One of my friends asks this question. He says the answer tells him more about a person than any other question. Are you an artist or a scientist?
During my early years on the internet I found many tests that I filled out to little satisfaction. Questions like this stretch me thin between answers that I don’t see as seperate. My mind begins to spin nauseatingly as I split down the many branches of possible meaning to the question/answer…
8. What makes you happy?
Sunshine. Good company. An exciting idea.
9. What’s something interesting about the view outside the nearest window?
The window is in the door to the atrium next to my computer. I love having the sky inside my house like this.
10. What is your favorite movie? song? book?
Three Colours: Red. (dir. Krzysztof Kieslowski)
Ma Meeshka Mow Skwoz, by Mr Bungle.
Slaughterhouse 5, by Kurt Vonnegut.
11. Ten years ago, where would you have imagined that you’d be today?
Is your current situation better than that idea?
12. Have you done much travelling?
I’ve been around the Australian states of South Australia, Victoria, and Tasmania. I’ve been to Sydney. Overseas I’ve been to Singapore, Malaysia, San Francisco, and Japan.
Where’s your favorite place so far?
13. If you were given $10,000 to do whatever you wanted with, how would you spend it?
Put it in the bank.
With a bit of prodding I might do something more radical in terms of a holiday.
14. When you were little, what was your favorite thing to do on the playground? Why?
Because I could.